Sunday, October 17, 2010

Our Day in Solvang

Saturday September 18, 2010

Brian and I got up early to take a little trip.  We made a stop in Thousand Oaks at Great Harvest Bread Co.  It was a place I introduced Brian to in Utah.  Sadly, I think the bread and goodies taste better in Utah.


Here are some pictures from the beautiful drive that we took.




We then arrived in Solvang, a cute little Danish town about 2 hours North East of us.  I had been before when I was younger and remembered it to be a very charming place.  I wanted Brian to see it.

We went to Solvang for Danish Days, so there were a lot of other people there, but there was also a lot to see and do.

Here's the Post Office in Solvang.



There was a man there who did wood carving.  Here's Brian with the Viking statue.

Brian also took a video of a carving demonstration.


This cute man was playing his accordion.


We then decided to sample the traditional Danish breakfast of Aebleskivers.  Brian had never had them before, but I had a roommate in college who made them before.  They are like a pancake, but shaped in a sphere.  Here are the locals making it.


 Here's breakfast!  Well, this is Brian's cause there is a sausage (and I don't eat pork sausage).  The aebleskivers were served with Raspberry jam.  Delicious!




After our "second breakfast" we wandered through all the shops on the main street.  We stopped in a toy store and I played with the puppets.




 Check out my cute Viking!


There were dancers!  They were fun to watch!


Here I am with a couple of warriors! 


We wandered and learned of their crafts and weaponry.




This is a beautiful wood carved bench that I rested on.  Solvang has so many different shops and bakeries!  We were good and only sampled the treats instead of buying buckets of Danish cookies or blocks of fudge!

The cute Danish windmill!


Lucky for us, there was a Danish Days Parade!
There were so many different bands that performed!









All in all it was a great day.  We enjoyed Solvang!  I even left with my own aebleskivers pan, so I can make them at home now too!

No comments: