Wednesday, October 27, 2010

San Francisco Trip- Friday Part 2

Friday October 1, 2010- Part 2

After that delicious seafood lunch we walked to a different pier to board a ferry to Alcatraz Island!

Here's a view of the Prison from the "main land".


The Oakland Bridge


Here's a view as we get closer.



San Francisco from the ferry!


Here's Brian!


Once we got off the ferry we climbed some steep hills, which we pretty much did the whole trip!


We arrived at the prison!  They had an audio tour that you could do while in the prison, but we opted out of that.  I'm not a big fan of those. 

Here's where you check in and get your clothes.


Group shower!  Thanks, but no thanks!


Here's what a cell looks like.


There were 4 blocks with 2 rows of stacked cells (only 2 stories tall).  I have no idea how many cells there were in total, but quite a lot!


Here's a replica of a cell that one of the famous escapees got out of.  He of course didn't actually survive the escape.


Oh no!  I'm stuck in jail!


Brian's taking a little thinking break.  Ha ha.


I think that Brian looks like Sirius Black (from Harry Potter...Sorry I just can't stop with the references).


Here's a fun video that Brian took when we went to explore outside.  It was super windy, so that may be all you'll hear!


Here's Brian outside on the other side of the jail.


Good-bye Alcatraz Prison!


So, lots of people asked me when we returned if I thought Alcatraz was creepy.  I actually remember it to be scary when I was 10, but this time I didn't get that vibe.  I thought it was interesting that the government would put so many serious criminals in the same place.  No wonder people tried to escape and others were killed (officers at the prison).  Too much evil in one place!

Back on the ferry.


Once back, we had to walk back towards Fisherman's Warf.  We stopped at Pier 39 to get some treats!  This was a candy shop!  We loaded up on taffy!  I'm not sure why we are so drawn to taffy, but we got some on our honeymoon and at a previous trip to Disneyland.  It is yummy!


These cute guys were at the Sourdough Bread Company in Fisherman's Wharf.  Cool, huh?



We then headed to this great place! 


Home of delicious chocolate!  Heaven for us!

We had to sample an ice cream sundae with hot fudge!  Boy was it GOOD!


We then waited to board on the Cable Car going back to our hotel.  We got to stand this time which was fun!


Don't forget to...

My brave husband decided to take video and pictures while we were in motion.  Enjoy!  Sorry I look scary, but I was completely exhausted!



Have to have a shout out for Taylor Street!




I was so beat!  My legs were throbbing from all the walking we did.  We got back to our room and we lounged and read our books.  We were so tired that we ended up skipping dinner.  That fried lunch had filled us up.


Be sure to come back again soon!  Saturday was a very exciting day in San Fran!

3 comments:

Bridget said...

Yea for Taylor Street and San Francisco. One of my favorite places! Mom

Danielle Harris said...

Geeze! You guys are going to have stayed at more hotels than your own home by your first year of marriage. How fun that you get to do so much exploring together!! Looks like a good time.

KaraLyn said...

Looks so fun. I love San Francisco!