Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Saturday in Santa Barbara

August 7, 2010

Brian and I picked a great day to go to Santa Barbara.  It's a short distance from us (just over an hour) and a beautiful drive up the coast!  It was the weekend of the Fiesta, which happens every August.  We arrived just in time for the parade.








Do you see the cute little dog with the sombrero?

I love the streets in Santa Barbara.  They have a fun feel to them.  After the parade we went out to a late breakfast at a place called Cajun Kitchen, which was recommended by a co-worker of mine.

Brian and I had a hard time deciding between a few of the dishes, so we decided to flip a coin to determine what we were going to order.  Brian flipped the penny and chose his lunch and then when I flipped the penny, something funny happened...

It landed in my water!  But I still ordered based on which side was up.

I ordered eggs, hash browns, extra crispy bacon (yes I will eat bacon when it's cooked this way) and a huge biscuit!   Check it out!  It's ginormous!  So delicious too!

Brian ordered jambalaya with beans, and a huge piece of corn bread, which was also really good!

After our huge meal, we wandered around town some more.  We found this little bookstore which sold the first 4 Harry Potter books in a hardbound set.  This made me happy because I have paperback copies of those 4 and the last 3 I have hardback, so we bought these to make a complete hardbound set!  The 4 books only cost us $20, which I thought was a pretty good deal.







As you can see it was a pretty cloudy day!  I was even a little cold and we didn't bring sweaters because we didn't expect it to be cold.  After hanging out downtown we headed down to the pier (where it was even colder.  Ha ha)


So, there are really no barriers here on the pier.  Scary, right?



As you can see, the sun finally came out.  I think it was around 3pm when it appeared.



These are crates of egg shells and they are filled with confetti!  The confetti was all over the streets during the Fiesta.  You could buy the eggs and then break them however you wanted.  Many people actually cracked them on people's heads so there was confetti in their hair.  Crazy, right?  Thankfully I convinced Brian that I would not enjoy that at all.  :)


We then went back downtown to a park where there were vendors selling Mexican food and people were preforming on stage.  We got a little snack, since we weren't super hungry.

Here's a good picture of Brian with his tacos!

We had a really great time in beautiful Santa Barbara!  It was the perfect little day trip!

2 comments:

KaraLyn said...

You guys have a great life. You are always up to something fun

April said...

So fun! You guys should have your own travel show. Better yet, I should just come with you both on all of your adventures.