Friday, July 29, 2011

Texas Apartment

June 1, 2011

While I handled the move, Brian was in charge of finding us a place to live.  He only had about 3 weeks to do it though and really only had time on the weekends to go and look at places.  We were so lucky that my sister and her boyfriend let Brian stay with them in the meantime.  Brian and I are very different when it comes to apartments.  I like newer and updated and Brian likes cheaper and livable.  We made some compromises and after he looked at several (and I looked too via the apartment websites) we settled on Brian's taste.  We decided to only do a 6 month lease as we are hoping to possibly buy a house soon.  Brian found a place in Carrollton that has 2 bedrooms and 1 bath and the rent was considerably less than what we were paying in LA.  June 1st was the day we got our keys.   We finally got to see our apartment that evening.  It was awful!  The carpet was absolutely disgusting and there were cockroaches all over the place.  I wanted to cry and possibly did.  Thankfully the moving truck hadn't arrived with our stuff yet.  

June 2, 2011
I called the manager first thing the next morning and told her what we found.  I met her at the apartment and showed her what I was so unhappy with.  She promised to have the carpet replaced the next day and also to have her maintenance come and bomb the place for the pests right away.  I told her that I had not heard from the moving company yet, but that they were supposed to give me 24 hours notice before delivery.  I was to get in touch with them to see when they planned on dropping off our stuff.  Of course when I called they told me that they were ready to come first thing the next day!  Yikes!  I had to beg for them to postpone the delivery until later (without incurring a $300 charge).  Thankfully the dispatch guy was really nice and promised that they would delivery sometime around 2/3pm.  I then had to make sure that the new carpet would be ready in time.  The manager at the apartment insured me that it would be.

June 3, 2011

I showed up at the apartment around 2 and the carpet was finished around 3.  I hadn't heard anything from the movers so I just hung out.  Thankfully I had a book to keep me occupied.  Brian arrived at 5:30 to check out the carpet, which looked so great!  Unfortunately there were still some roaches so we worked on killing them and he went out and bought some spray to have.  At 6 I called the dispatch to find out why the movers were so late and he said they would be at the apartment by 8pm.  I told him that was a little late for the delivery because it would take a couple of hours to unload at least.  He agreed and we postponed it to Saturday (and I didn't have to pay anything because it was their fault).

June 4, 2011

The movers showed up around 8:30am and loaded.  I was in charge of checking off the numbers of the items as they came in.  Brian directed the guys where to put things.  We think we got everything, but aren't planning on unpacking it all seeing that we'll only be staying here 6 months.  We still come across the roaches, but they are nowhere near as bad as before.  We have the apartment pest guy here each week spraying too.  


Here are the pictures finally of our new place.

Kitchen



Dinning Room



Living Room


Patio


 2nd Room-aka Storage Room



Our Bedroom



 Bathroom



 Laundry


It took a little bit of time sifting through things to determine what we needed/wanted for these 6 months and what could be stacked away in the storage room.  Don't worry about baby, he'll hang with us until we figure out where we'll be living next.  We're content here, but anxious to see if we'll be able to do some good house hunting before our lease is up.  :)

No comments: